Fruit and Vegetable Prescription®
Remember the saying “An apple a day keeps the doctor away”?
For some families going to the doctor for diet-related illnesses like Type 2 diabetes, having a low income, and lack of easy access or transportation to farmers markets keeps healthy food like apples out of reach.
The Fruit and Vegetable Prescription Program (FVRx) connects healthcare providers, farmers markets and families with diet-related illnesses, by providing the access, support, and funding needed to increase fruit and vegetable consumption. In 2016, Wholesome Wave Georgia is participating in Wholesome Wave's FVRx national network to implement the program with the Harrisburg Family Healthcare Clinic and Veggie Truck Farmers Market in Augusta, GA and with Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta, GA.
How Does the Program Work?
1. Individuals with diet-related illnesses are enrolled by their primary care provider as FVRx participants.
2. A primary care provider and a nutritionist meet with participants and their families each month to reinforce the importance of healthy eating.
3. The provider distributes FVRx prescriptions during the visit, assesses fruit and vegetable consumption, and tracks health outcomes, like Body Mass Index (BMI).
4. Prescriptions are redeemed weekly for fresh fruits and vegetables at participating farmers market(s) throughout the program.
5. Participants return to their health care provider each month to refill their FVRx prescription and set new goals for healthy eating.
A prescription is worth $1 per day per household member (e.g. a family of 4 would receive $28 per week to spend on fruits and vegetables), with a goal of increasing fruit and vegetable consumption by 1 serving of produce per day for each patient and their family members.
What’s the Impact of FVRx?
The effects of FVRx are real and lasting. FVRx patients realize positive health outcomes during the FVRx season. Shopping behaviors are changed and knowledge about local and healthy foods is improved. The FVRx Program empowers patients and providers to act on recommendations. Download Wholesome Wave's great pamphlet to learn more.